“Experience is not what Happens to you, it’s what you do with what
happens to you.”
As part of my research this week, I tuned into ‘Ask the Doctor’ on ABC 1 on Tuesday night called ‘Alcohol Risks’. It was an excellent program that included facts that apply to our Australian Society. Here are just a few . . .
- Booze disease is the cause of 5.5 thousand deaths yearly which is 4 times, more than in car accidents
- 3 million people drink more than 2 standard drinks daily
- Numerous types of Cancer are attributed to excess alcohol, a topic close to my heart as an ex Oncology Nurse
- The lack of knowledge the public has to this and people interviewed were very shocked when given some facts by the hosts.
- Booze has a large amount of “useless” calories and can attribute to obesity and diabetes.
I wonder how many people watched it ????
It is so hard getting people to recognise the physical problem unless it happens to them (me included in 2016). We all feel so much easier keeping up social contact in our boozy society which is very dispiriting.
We need more media exposure of this problem, and I know it is a huge uphill battle for me. If I can help just a few people, it will be worth it.